MS BI Workshop #6 – Dimensional Model VS Normalized Model
Here is my notes #6.
It’ll be redundant to write down all my notes because there are endless information about dimensional modeling. I’ll just write down the highlights from my notes.
1. Both 3NF models and dimensional models can be represented in ERDs.
2. The key difference is the degree of normalization.
3. To minimize confusions we do not refer to 3NF models as ER models; instead, the industry commonly calls them normalized models.
4. When the dimensional model is based on a relational database, then these dimensionally modeled tables are referred to as star schemas.
5. If it is based on a multidimensional database or OLAP technology, then the data is stored in cubes.
I am also listing 3 links to my previous blog posts on this topic.